Dr. Alan Shackelford
1971 B.A. Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA
1984 M.D. University of Heidelberg School of Medicine,
Internship, Residency, and Fellowship Training:
1984 Rotating internship, University of Heidelberg and Harvard Medical School: 4 months internal medicine, 4 months general surgery, 4 months pediatrics.
1984-1985 Intern, Department of Medicine,
Brigham & Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School,
1985-1987 Resident, Department of Medicine,
New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
1987-1988 Clinical Fellow, Nutrition Support Service and Department of Medicine,
New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School,
1988-1989 Clinical and Research Fellow,
Nutrition Metabolism Laboratory and Department of Medicine,
New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School,
1989-1991 Fellow, Division of Behavioral Medicine and Department of Medicine,
New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Additional subspecialty training:
1996: Course in Clinical Hyperbaric Medicine,
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1997: Taucherarztlehrgang (Diving Medicine) Schiffahrtmedizinisches Institut der Marine (German Naval Medical Institute), Kronshagen/Kiel, Germany
1999: Traditional Chinese herbal medicine, Dr.Chen Tung,
University of Hong Kong.
2019: Level I Certification, Colorado Workers’ Compensation Board
Licensure: Massachusetts Board of Registration (inactive)
Rhode Island Board of Regulation (inactive)
Colorado Board of Registration (active)
1984-1987 Clinical Fellow in Medicine,Internal Medicine,
Harvard Medical School,Boston, MA
1987-1988 Clinical Fellow in Medicine,Nutrition Support and Hyperalimentation, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
1988-1989 Research Fellow in Medicine,Nutrition/Metabolism Laboratory
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
1989-1991 Clinical Fellow in Medicine,Section on Behavioral Medicine
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Research Experiences and Techniques:
Experimental studies of cystitis and prostatitis, Department of Urology,
University of Heidelberg School of Medicine, 1977-1980;
microsurgical and immunofluorescent microscopy techniques.
Evaluation of alternative lipids in total parenteral nutrition,
Nutrition-Metabolism Laboratory, New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 1988-1989; microvascular surgical techniques.
The application of cognitive restructuring and stress management techniques to the treatment of obesity, and the treatment of performance anxiety in Olympic athletes, Mind/Body Medical Institute, New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School,1989-1991.
Instructor in German and in genetics, University of Maryland, European Division, Heidelberg, Germany, 1974-1984.
Proctor, Course in Clinical Skills and Physical Diagnosis, New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School,1986-1989; 1991.
Lecturer, Clinical Training in Behavioral Medicine, Harvard Medical School Department of Continuing Education, 1989-1991.
Group Leader and Facilitator, Basic and Specialty Mind/Body Groups, Section on Behavioral Medicine, New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 1989-1991.
General medicine practice: staff physician, Mid-Cape Medical Center, Barnstable MA, 1987-1992.
Family medical/urgent care center; patient population included infants, children and adults with acute medical problems, routine evaluations, urgent/acute injuries.
Staff physician, Centers for Nutritional Research, a division of New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1987-1992. Duties included oversight and management of medical care of patients undergoing treatment for obesity in the Boston, Wellesley, and Hannover, Massachusetts centers.
Staff physician, medical intensive care units, Symmes Hospital, Arlington, MA; Tobey Hospital, Wareham MA 1991-1992.
Private practice: cannabinoid medicine, nutritional medicine, behavioral medicine, impairment ratings, Colorado, 1992 to present.
Manager, North American operations, GetWellness, AG, Basel, Switzerland: Development of international medical referral network (physicians, hospitals, clinics), supervision of medical on-call staff, development of on-line medical information and referral services and materials, manage emergency medical calls from clients worldwide, 1998-2001.
Obesity treatment: Development of treatment protocols and post-treatment weight maintenance programs, 1992 to present.
Patient evaluations and impairment ratings, Rocky Mountain Medical Center, Aurora, Colorado, 2003-2006.
General internal medicine practice, Rocky Mountain Medical Center, Lakewood, CO, 2005-2006.
Medical Director, WestCare Infusion Services, Inc., Denver, CO: Oversee home nutrition support services, review medical records, consult with prescribing physicians, 2006 to 2011.
Consultant, One World Cannabis, Petach Tikvah, Israel, 2014-2015.
Rehabilitation and injury treatment, Intermedical Consulting,LLC, Aurora Colorado, February, 2007 to present.
Worker Compensation/Occupational Medicine, Concentra Medical Centers, Colorado May 2008 to April 2010, December 2018 to present.
Chief Medical Officer, Shackelford Pharma, Inc., Vancouver BC, 2018 to present.
Current Professional Responsibilities:
Principle physician, Amarimed of Colorado
Patient evaluations and observational research, medical cannabis, Denver, Colorado, 2009 to present.
• Out-patient evaluation and treatment of medical illnesses and work-related injuries.
• Consultant on medical cases to attorneys and legal firms.
• Formulation of nutritional supplements.
• Evaluation of patients for use of medical cannabis as a treatment option and observational studies of clinical efficacy.
• Design basic science and clinical trials of medical uses of cannabis and cannabis derivatives.
Member, Colorado Board of Medicine,
April 2022 to present.
1. Riedasch G, Shackelford AE, Möhring K. Immunologische Untersuchungen zur chronischen Prostatitis unter besonderer Berücksichtigung des Anti-Body-Coating-Phänomens. Immunological studies of chronic prostatitis with particular emphasis on the antibody-coating phenomenon). Münchner Med. Wochenschrift, 1978; 48:1605-1608.
2. Riedasch G, Bersch W, Shackelford AE, Schneider E Möhring K. Local immune response to urinary tract bacteria in experimental cystitis. Urol. Res. 1979; 1:36-40.
3. Riedasch G, Möhring K, Shackelford AE, Schneider E. Zur Behandlung der bakteriellen Prostatitis mit Cotrimoxazol (The treatment of bacterial prostatitis with cotrimoxazol). Kongressbericht, 20. TagungNorddeutscher Urologen, Kolle, P.(ed.), Hansisches Verlagskontor, Lübeck (1979).
4. Schneider E, Shackelford AE, Riedasch G. Application of immunofluorescence techniques to distinguishing flora of the urinary tract. In: Immunofluorescence and Related Staining Techniques. Elsevier Biomedical Press, Amsterdam (1978).
5. Hirschberg Y, Shackelford AE, Mascioli E, Babayan VG, Bistrian BR, Blackburn GL. The response to endotoxin in guinea pigs after TPN with black currant seed oil. Lipids, 1990; 25:191-196.
6. Shackelford AE, Palken JL. Nutrition in cancer and HIV infection. In: The Wellness Book. Benson H and Stuart E, editors; Carol Publishing Co., New York (1992).
7. Palken JL, Shackelford AE. Eating for good health. In: The Wellness Book. Benson H and Stuart E, editors; Carol Publishing Co., New York (1992).
8. Friedman R, Shackelford AE, Reiff S, Benson H. Stress and weight maintenance: The disinhibition effect and the micromanagement of stress. In: Obesity: Pathophysiology, Psychology and Treatment. Blackburn G and Kanders BS, editors; Chapman and Hall, New York and London (1994).
9. Huntsman, R, Tang-Wai, R, Shackelford, AE. Cannabis for Pediatric Epilepsy. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2020.(37): 1; 2-8.
10. Huntsman, R, Shackelford, A et al. Improving the Regulation of Cannabis in Canada to Better Serve Pediatric Patients. CMAJ. 2021. 193:(41): E1596-E1599.
Academic Presentations and Lectures:
1. Immunologische Untersuchungen zur chronischen Prostatitisunter besonderer Berücksichtigung des Antibody-Coating-Phänomens(Immunological studies of chronic prostatitis with particular emphasis on the antibody-coating phenomenon). Riedasch G, Shackelford AE, Möhring K.I. Internationaler Prostatitis Kongress, Bad Nauheim, Germany (1978).
2. Local immune response to urinary tract bacteria in experimental cystitis. Riedasch G, Bersch W, Shackelford AE, Schneider E, Möhring K. Symposion für experimentelle Urologie, Kassel, Germany (1978).
3. Zur Behandlung der bakteriellen Prostatitis mit Cotrimoxazol.(The treatment of bacterial prostatitis with cotrimoxazol) Riedasch G, Möhring K, Shackelford AE, Schneider E. 20.Tagung Norddeutscher Urologen, Hannover, Germany (1978).
4. Nutrition--physiological basis of current diets. Shackelford AE, Plaisted C, Blackburn GL. 74th Annual Meeting, American College of Occupational Medicine, Boston, MA (1989).
5. The role of nutrition in the development of disease. Shackelford AE, Palken JL. Section on Nutrition, Clinical Training in Behavioral Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, MA (1989).
6. Dietary treatment of obesity. Shackelford AE. 12th Annual Meeting, Grand Rapids Medical Society, Grand Rapids, MI (1990).
7. Appropriate and inappropriate treatment of obesity. Shackelford AE. Section on Nutrition, Clinical Training in Behavioral Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, MA (1990).
8. The response to endotoxin in guinea pigs after TPN with black currant seed oil. Hirschberg Y, Shackelford AE, Mascioli E, Babayan VG, Bistrian BR, Blackburn GL. Poster session, 14th Clinical Meeting, American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, San Antonio, TX (1990).
9. The application of behavioral methods to the treatment of eating disorders. Shackelford AE. Section on Nutrition, Clinical Training in Behavioral Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, MA (1991).
10. Seminar: Application of behavioral medicine interventions to obese populations. Shackelford AE. Section on Nutrition, Clinical Training in Behavioral Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Department of Continuing Education, Boston, MA (1991).
11. Seminar: Self-regulation and mind/body medicine. Borysenko M, Shackelford AE. Konferenz über Religion und Medizin, ZIST, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany (1993).
12. Mind/Body medicine. Borysenko M, Shackelford AE, Borysenko J. Professional development certificate in caring and healing, The Center for Human Caring, University of Colorado School of Nursing, Denver, Colorado (1995).
13. Hyperbaric medicine practice in the USA. Shackelford AE. Taucherarztlehrgang, Schiffahrtmedizinisches Institut der Marine (Course in Diving Medicine, German Naval Medical Institute), Kronshagen/Kiel, Germany,(1997).
14. Medical Cannabis: What we know, what we don't know, and where we go from here. 2011 NORML National Conference, Denver CO, April 2011.
15. Medical Marijuana: Its uses and benefits. Grillo Medical Center Stahl Lecture Series, Boulder CO, June 2011.
16. Medical cannabis and the elderly. Shackelford AE, Vicente B. Colorado Bar Association, Elder Law Section Summer Retreat, Vail CO August 2011 and regular quarterly meeting, Denver CO, December 2011.
17. Featured, CNN documentary “Weed” with Dr. Sanjay Gupta, August, 2013.
18. The Pharmacology of Cannabis. Foro Internacional: Actualizacion sobre los usos medicales y therapeuticos de Cannabis (International forum on the medical and therapeutical uses of cannabis). National Drug Board, Republic of Uruguay, Montevideo, April 2014.
19. Cannabis: Pharmacy Considerations. Medical Cannabis Symposium, Connecticut Pharmacists Association, Plantsville, Connecticut, June, 2014.
20. Medical Cannabis: Science and Practice. Cannabis Medicinal en Mexico. Sen. Mario Delgado, Senate of the Republic of Mexico, Mexico City, September, 2014.
21. Cannabis as a Medical Treatment Option. Foro Marihuana Medicinal, Sen. Juan Miguel Galan and Fundacion Buen Gobierno, Senate of the Republic of Colombia, Bogota, December 2014.
22. Medical Cannabis, Past and Future. Keynote speaker, CannaTech Forum, Jaffa, Israel, February 2015.
23. International Perspectives on Cannabis Research. Symposium, Marijuana and Health, National Jewish Hospital, Denver, Colorado, June, 2015.
24. Cannabinoid Biology and Marijuana Policy. Presidential guest lecturer, American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine, 69th Annual Meeting, Austin, Texas, October, 2015.
25. Cannabis in the Treatment of Pain due to Workplace Injuries. Workplace Injury Section of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) National meeting, Denver Colorado, July 10, 2018.
26. A Brief History of the Medical Use of Cannabis. Cannabinoid Research Initiative of Saskatchewan (CRIS) Inaugural Symposium, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan August 16-17, 2018.
27. Panelist, Current Cannabis Research Initiatives. Cannabinoid Research Initiative of Saskatchewan (CRIS) Inaugural Symposium, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan August 16-17, 2018.
28. Medical Marijuana: The Art of Practice & Challenges of Research. Leehey M, Liu Y, Shackelford A. Grand Rounds, Department of Neurology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver CO, November 14, 2018
29. Medical Marijuana: What School Nurses Need to Know. National Association of School Nurses Webinar, Silver Spring MD, March 12, 2019.
30. Panelist, Medical Cannabis and Veterans’ Well Being, Hearing of the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs, House of Commons, Parliament of Canada, Ottawa, March 20, 2019.
31. Trends in Development of Cannabis-Derived Medications,
Cannabinoid Research Initiative of Saskatchewan (CRIS) Inaugural Symposium, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan August 15-16, 2019.
32. Medical uses of Cannabis, Senate of the State of Alabama; Educational Presentation, November 7, 2019, Montgomery, Alabama.
33. Medical Cannabis in Legislation. Senate of the State of Alabama, Judiciary Committee Hearings, February 7, 2020, Montgomery, Alabama.
Consultancies and Representations:
1. Consultant on mind/body health to Prof. Dr.med. Ursula Lehr,Minister of Health, Women's Issues, and Youth, Federal Republic of Germany, 1990.
2. Consultant on mind/body health to Senator Ingrid Stahmer, Senator for Health, West Berlin, 1990.
3. Representative, Mind/Body Medical Institute and Section on Behavioral Medicine, New England Deaconess Hospital and Harvard Medical School to German health care institutions and universities, 1990-1991.
4. Advisor to Colorado State Senator Chris Romer on medical marijuana research and clinical applications, Colorado State Legislative Session 2010.
5. Consultant to Connecticut Governor Dan Malloy, Connecticut Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Eric Coleman, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Fox, Senate President Donald Williams, 2011.
6. Consultant to New York State Senator Diane Savino on medical cannabis legislation, 2012.
7. Physician member, City and County of Denver Medical Marijuana Advisory Work Group, Denver CO, 2011 to 2013.
8. Presentation, Medical uses of Cannabis, Minister for Criminal Justice Jeremy Browne, Government of the United Kingdom, British Consulate Denver, October 2, 2013.
9. Physician member, Colorado State Department of Revenue Medical Marijuana Advisory Work Group, 2010 to present.
10. Member, State of Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Medical Marijuana Scientific Advisory Council, 2014 to present.
11. Consultant, Colorado Board of Medical Examiners, Physician practice guidelines for medical marijuana evaluations, 2015.
12. Consultant, Colorado Attorney General’s Office, Adherence to practice guidelines for medical marijuana practitioners, 2016 to present.
13. Consultant, Colorado Worker Compensation Board, Use of medical cannabis in the treatment of workplace injuries, 2017 to present.
Acting: Principal roles: Discovery Channel’s Animal Planet series "Busted!", National Geographic Channel “Explorer” series, independent films, medical training video series.
Represented by Big Fish Talent Agency, Denver, Colorado.
Plays drums, bass, guitar.